- Criminal Law Assignment Help
- Taxation Law Assignment Help
- Business Law Assignment Help
- Contract Law Assignment Help
- Civil Law Assignment Help
- Land Law Assignment Help
- Tort Law Assignment Help
- Company Law Assignment Help
- Employment Law Assignment Help
- Environmental Law Assignment Help
- Commercial Law Assignment Help
- Criminology Assignment Help
- Corporate Governance Law Assignment Help
- Constitutional Law Assignment Help
- Operations Assignment Help
- HRM Assignment Help
- Marketing Management Assignment Help
- 4 Ps Of Marketing Assignment Help
- Strategic Marketing Assignment Help
- Project Management Assignment Help
- Strategic Management Assignment Help
- Risk Management Assignment Help
- Organisational Behaviour Assignment Help
- Business Development Assignment Help
- Change Management Assignment Help
- Consumer Behavior Assignment Help
- Operations Management Assignment Help
- Public Relations Assignment Help
- Supply Chain Management Assignment Help
- Conflict Management Assignment Help
- Environmental Assignment Help
- Public Policy Assignment Help
- Childcare Assignment Help
- Business Report Writing Help
- Pricing Strategy Assignment Help
- Corporate Strategy Assignment Help
- Managerial Accounting Assignment Help
- Capital Budgeting Assignment Help
- Accounting Assignment Help
- Cost Accounting Assignment Help
- Financial Accounting Assignment Help
- Corporate Finance Assignment Help
- Behavioural Finance Assignment Help
- Financial Ethics Assignment Help
- Financial Management Assignment Help
- Financial Reporting Assignment Help
- Forensic Accounting Assignment Help
- International Finance Assignment Help
- Cost-Benefit Analysis Assignment Help
- Financial Engineering Assignment Help
- Financial Markets Assignment Help
- Private Equity and Venture Capital Assignment Help
- Psychology Assignment Help
- Sociology Assignment Help
- English Assignment Help
- Political Science Assignment Help
- Arts Assignment Help
- Civil Engineering Assignment Help
- Computer Science And Engineering Assignment Help
- Economics Assignment Help
- Climate Change Economics Assignment Help
- Java Assignment Help
- MATLAB Assignment Help
- Database Assignment Help
- PHP Assignment Help
- UML Diagram Assignment Help
- Web Designing Assignment Help
- Networking Assignment Help
- Chemistry Assignment Help
- Biology Assignment Help
- Nursing Assignment Help
- Biotechnology Assignment Help
- Mathematics Assignment Help
- Assignment Assistance
- Assignment Help Online
- Cheap Assignment Help
- Assignment Paper Help
- Solve My Assignment
- Do My Assignment
- Get Assignment Help
- Urgent Assignment Help
- Write My Assignment
- Assignment Provider
- Quality Assignment Help
- Make My Assignment
- Online Assignment Writers
- Paid Assignment Help
- Top Assignment Help
- Writing Assignment For University
- Buy Assignment Online
- All Assignment Help
- Academic Assignment Help
- Assignment Help Tutors
- Student Assignment Help
- Custom Assignment Writing Service
- English Essay Help
- Law Essay Help
- Management Essay Help
- MBA Essay Help
- History Essay Help
- Literature Essay Help
- Online Essay Help
- Plagiarism Free Essay
- Write My Essay
- Admission Essay Help
- TOK Essay Help
- Best Essay Writing Service
- Essay Assignment Help
- Essay Writers Online
- Professional Essay Writers
- Academic Writing
- Homework Help
- Dissertation Help
- University Assignment Help
- College Assignment Help
- Research Paper Writing Help
- Case Study Help
- Coursework Help
- Thesis Help
- PowerPoint Presentation Service
- Job Openings
Top 50 Environmental Law Dissertation Topics for Future Homework
- November 3, 2021 November 3, 2021
The sustainability of environment is believed to be the core of the very existence of the human civilization. It is critical to regulate the environment with the most time sensitive environmental laws to keep a check on the intervention of the human activities on the environment. Environmental law is primarily a collective term to encompass all the aspects of the law that deliver the decisive protection to the environment.
GET HELP INSTANTLY Place your order to get best assignment help
These laws are somehow relative but distinct set of regulatory regimens, that are fiercely influenced by the legal principles, focussing on the sustainable management of concerned natural resources, like forests, fisheries, minerals, etc. This arm of legal framework offers numerous career opportunities to the students and one of the principle streams of the law to demand assignment help by the students.
The academic study of the environmental law helps in understanding how to safeguard human health and the environment simultaneously. The study is all about making balance and the right assignment writing services can help the students achieve extremely good grades in the subject. Our effort is to make sure that the students execute their environmental law assignment homework smartly and effectively with prudent utility of time, energy, and resources.
Well, when it is comes to the segregation of time and efforts then most of the students of the law commit the fundamental mistake of investing more time and efforts for the wrong cause. No, here we are not claiming that the time and efforts invested in the selection of the right topic is redirected to a wrong cause. But how much time and energy we are spending matter a lot. One cannot spend a major chunk of time merely on the reaching the right topic. That is why, we are offering a game changing opportunity to our students to land straight onto the right topic from our recommended list and instantly kickstart with the research work and eloquent writing efforts.
Wish to learn some of the smart yet seldom discussed techniques of writing impactful literature review? Read the below article and make your next review more impactful than ever!
Must read: wish to make your literature review the next big thing get all the desired tips here, the types of environmental laws that can help you with academics.
Students reach our agency to get online assignment help to different environmental law assignment topics. We find that there are certain types of environmental laws that are frequently discussed in the curriculum of higher studies. These include the command-and-control regulation, voluntary regulation, and the market-based regulation.
Most of the environmental laws fall under the standard category of laws termed as “command and control”. These forms of environmental laws are usually taught in academics and primarily comprise of three components, i.e., the recognition of a kind of environmentally pernicious activity, imposition of conditions or set standards on that activity and prohibiting such sorts of activities and bring the perpetrators to justice.
Your interpretation of land laws plays a major role in interpreting the environmental regulations in a better way. Come across the best land law assignment topics to ensure better research and submission at the below link –
Must read: top 20 land law dissertation topics trending in the year 2021, top 50 environmental law dissertation topics to write finest assignments.
The following is the list of top 50 dissertation topics prepared by our assignment writing experts to help you with all the necessary dissertation help related to the future assignment topic selection.
- Environmental law v/s development: Discuss the agents of framework, development and implementation
- Provide a systematic analysis of the critical components of the international environmental law
- A critical assessment of the Indian environmental law for the sustainability of the resources and management
- What are the important features of the environmental laws of the United Kingdom and what are the challenges posed in terms of their implementation?
- Make an assessment on the fairness of the international environmental law towards the management of the natural resources in emerging economies
- Black markets of animal body parts and poaching of tigers in Asia: Recommend the ways to strengthen national and transnational environmental laws to curb this vicious circle
- Environmental laws vs energy laws: A comparative analysis of the similarities and differences
- Discuss the role of international law counsel on conscious ecological restoration
- A systematic assessment of the catastrophes of major natural resources in a Latin American country of your choice. Throw some light on the policy frameworks in existence or recommendation to address such issues
- Environmental crime and the law: Write an expository essay by taking into account the most recent cases
- How successful are the environmental laws protecting the great barrier reef in Australia? Do you think that there is more required to be done in the changing times?
- How successful has been the Paris Agreement on climate change in terms of the management of carbon emissions?
- Brexit and the environment: Conduct a cause and effect analysis
- Discuss the challenges faced by the law enforcement bodies in terms of the management of illegal waste
- Elaborate the contributions of the British woodlands in the ecological preservation and the viewpoints in terms of the environmental law
- Political interests vs the environmental laws: Make a comparative analysis of the two in terms of the UK oil and gas industry
- Environmental laws and energy infrastructures: Discuss the situation from the adverse impacts of global warming on Canada
- Environmental laws: Are they mutually advantageous or rather favourable to distinct groups?
- Treatment of the waste water from the agriculture sector in Australia
- How the environmental policy of the European Union (EU) changed with Brexit? What are the salient features of the overall implications?
- How the environmental policies of China failed with the recent mismanagements of 2021 floods? Comment and elaborate
- How massive illegal fishing by China is threatening the oceanic environment worldwide?
- How recent wildfires in Australia, Greece and Turkey affected the biodiversity in the Europe and Oceania?
- Why Amazon rainforests are termed as the ‘lungs of the world’? How the current approach of the Brazilian government is threatening the very existence of this largest cover of rainforests in the world?
- How the new environmental laws in the UK are sustaining the resources and safeguarding the existence of the wildlife?
- How the Asian race between India and China is putting substantial pressure on the natural resources of both the countries?
- How the environmental laws of the Latin American nations have proven to be futile to prevent the massive deforestation of the Amazons?
- The history of British Petroleum (BP) oil spill in the ocean and the efforts of the environmental laws to penalise the company
- Climate change and the ozone layer: A cause and effect study
- How the environmental laws of India miserably failed to stop illegal stone mining in the country?
- How the environmental laws of India miserably failed to stop illegal sand mining in the country?
- Discuss the environmental laws revolving around the usage and disposal of various types of plastics in an emerging economy of your choice
- Is bio-plastic a sustainable choice for the future of mankind? What are the opportunities and obstacles in the mass scale production of bio-plastic?
- Make a comparative study on the environmental laws of the countries that succeeded and failed in their carbon emission efforts for a sustainable living
- Write a literature review of the global warming and the greenhouse effects
- The adverse influences of political interests in diminishing environmental laws
- The future of sustainable living. How the environmental laws can be strengthened to achieve the same?
- Can the emerging economies offer a sustainable platform for the electric vehicles? How the necessity can be matched with affordability?
- Is it really possible to bring all the major economies of the world at the same level on climate change? What are the measures that can be taken to keep a balance between global aspirations of the economies and environmental sustainability?
- Are the present environmental laws of the UK sustainable enough to curtail carbon emission and different other hazardous elements from the environment?
- How the governments are passing the regulations to reduce the environmental threat from the top chemical industries in a country of your choice?
- Conduct an academic study to inform the world about the annual chemical and carbon emission in the sea, land and air in the US states
- The creation and transformation into a negative carbon emission country: How Bhutan is setting an example in front of the world?
- Learning to co-exist with wildlife: How India is setting new benchmarks of human and wildlife peaceful co-existence?
- Preventing tragedies like Chernobyl and Fukushima nuclear disasters for the future safety of mankind. How strict environmental laws can play a decisive role in the same?
- How strong environmental laws can result in better energy infrastructures for the overall scope of greater good in the energy sector?
- Environmental laws vs development goals of the state: Are they mutually beneficial or bulwarks to overall economic growth?
- A study on the saline water treatment plants: How they can play a game-changing role in reducing drinking water scarcity in the less developed nations with maritime boundaries?
- Make an assessment of the geographic viability of SODIS (solar water disinfection) method by reducing the turbidity with NaCl
- Give a review on the greenhouse gas emission liabilities as a value of renewable energy for palliating the lawsuits for the climate change associated damages
We hope that the concerned list has fulfilled all your requirements related to the next environmental law assignment topic selection efforts. We have prepared the list in such a way that besides helping you out with dissertation writing help, it can help you choose the title related to other assignment writing formats as well. These include your topic selection assistance requirements related to case study help , ppt help , essay help , coursework help , research paper writing help or thesis help . You can always customise the given topics as per your requirements and make the necessary chances as per your convenience.
Are you struggling with the selection of right civil law assignment topics for your piling assignment homework? Read the below article to make your next submission unique and stand out of a heap of other submissions.
Must read: top 25 civil law dissertation topics we can look forward to in 2021.
The efforts that we put in the preparation of the list of assignment topics for our students is with the sole objective of helping them prepare their own assignment with prudent use of time and energy. But that is not always the case with the students seeking online homework help from the professionals due to one or the other reason. The reason can be availing a competitive edge over others in the classroom, lack of having conceptual clarity on the topic, attending other pressing business, or simply lacking command over English language to fulfil the homework fluently.
We recommend such students to get benefited by the paid assignment help offered by Thoughtful Minds at environmental law assignment help and order any number of environmental law topics at the most reasonable, student-friendly prices ever. Our law experts have helped thousands of students with the finest law assignment help in the last 15 years. So, do not struggle with assignment writing requirements anymore, let our legal experts bring the magic to each environmental law assignment submission.
- < Previous
Home > LAW > Dissertations & Theses > 12
Dissertations & Theses
The Climate Change-Sustainable Development Nexus: A Proposal for Convergence
Alvin K. Leong , Pace University School of Law Follow
This thesis was written under the guidance of Dean Emeritus Richard L. Ottinger and submitted in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the Master of Laws degree in Environmental Law at Pace University School of Law. The author may be contacted at [email protected]
This thesis is founded on the proposition that climate change and sustainable development are inextricably linked with each other and form a “nexus” that should be understood in a pragmatic and holistic way. Accordingly, the climate change “problem” cannot be adequately addressed in “silos” or by traditional output control techniques but instead should be viewed as a multidimensional challenge that calls for transformative change in the world energy sector in light of the wider contexts of sustainability and social equity. This thesis observes that with the emergence of a post-2015 development agenda and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) at the United Nations, the world is at or is fast approaching an inflection point in global development. While efforts to improve the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) process are laudable, this thesis argues for a transformative approach to converge international collective action on climate change with the broader frameworks of global sustainable development processes. This thesis makes a proposal for the convergence and integration of the UNFCCC and sustainable development work streams, and suggests that China consider taking a leadership role under the broad aspirational goal of building “eco-civilization.”
Alvin K. Leong, The Climate Change-Sustainable Development Nexus: A Proposal for Convergence (Nov. 6, 2013) (LLM thesis, Pace University School of Law), available at http://digitalcommons.pace.edu/lawdissertations/12/.
Since November 22, 2013
Energy and Utilities Law Commons , Environmental Law Commons
- Notify me via email or RSS
- Pace Law School
- Pace University Libraries
- Pace on Youtube
- Submit Work
Home | About | FAQ | My Account | Accessibility Statement
- Skip to content
- About Accessibility on our website
- Staff Directory
Energy and Environmental Law with Dissertation, LLM
- University Home
- Postgraduate Taught
- Our Degrees
Energy and Environmental Law with Dissertation
Study energy and environmental law to an advanced level at the University of Aberdeen. Our Law School is voted 5th in the UK for Overall Student Satisfaction (National Student Survey 2022).
This LLM degree programme seeks to equip students with the necessary knowledge and skills to consult in energy and environmental matters. Our staff have expertise and specialisms in environmental and climate change law, as well as in energy law relating both to the fossil fuels sector and to low carbon energy including renewables, nuclear and carbon capture and storage.
Law has a central role to play in enabling the shift to low carbon energy whilst maintaining energy security and the transition to environmentally sustainable economic development. The law in these areas undergoes frequent and extensive change as experience grows and we respond to the difficulties we are currently encountering.
Studying alongside legal experts in these areas, you will be immersed in the grounding concepts of energy and environmental law. With a unique choice of topical energy and environmental courses including ‘Corporate Environmental Liability’ to ‘Oil and Minerals for Good’, you will benefit from an advanced understanding and sharpened critical analysis across many key areas.
The programme will be of great interest to those who wish to equip themselves with the knowledge required to meet the challenges of the existing sectors of energy and environment, and the wish to play a pivotal role in the adaptation of current corporate policies during a time of great change. It may also appeal to practitioners who wish to acquire or update their legal knowledge in these fast moving areas.
This course provides students from diverse legal and educational backgrounds with a common understanding of the core research, analytical, and writing skills which will be required for LLM-Taught courses. It begins with a series of lectures and progresses to working in a workshop environment and finally to the submission of an individual assignment. It also incorporates a library workshop to provide students with hands-on experience with the resources available for course and dissertation work.
This course, which is prescribed for all taught postgraduate students, is studied entirely online, takes approximately 5-6 hours to complete and can be taken in one sitting, or spread across a number of weeks.
Topics include orientation overview, equality and diversity, health, safety and cyber security and how to make the most of your time at university in relation to careers and employability.
Successful completion of this course will be recorded on your Enhanced Transcript as ‘Achieved’.
Four optional courses must be selected across the academic year.
One of your choices could be selected from another LLM programme (excluding LS501K, distance learning and professional skills courses). Please visit the Course Catalogue for details: Postgraduate Law 2022-2023 - Catalogue of Courses (abdn.ac.uk)
LS553Z Regulation of Carbon Management
30 Credit Points
The transport and supply of hydrocarbons (oil and gas) and electricity is essential for modern civilisation. If energy cannot get to the consumer, then energy security is threatened and economic development may be restricted.
These challenges are important in the context of the liberalisation of these sectors, especially the restructuring of these industries from monopolies to competitive markets. This course explores the law and policy framework governing the movement and distribution of energy, particularly within a liberalised market, in an era of climate change. Topics covered include market liberalisation, energy security, gas sales and transport, and market regulation.
The complex interaction between investment protection and the sovereign right of states to regulate has been most acute in the energy sector. On the one hand, investors require strong guarantees that states will respect the “rules of the game” that constitute the basis of their investments. On the other, states can be tempted to interfere with foreign energy investments because of their strategic and social importance. This course aims to analyse if existing investment disciplines and international investment protection framework, are adapted to the specific regulatory risks that investors face in the energy landscape of the 21st Century and how best to avoid disputes and manage them.
The purpose of this course is to introduce the main principles of environmental law. The course analyses the challenges of environmental protection from the perspective of international, European and national law. Besides the conceptual analysis of the main principles of environmental law and methods of regulation, the course focuses on the delicate interaction between the principles of economic law (e.g. the right to property, the protection of investments, free trade) and environmental protection. Is there a conflict between economic law and environmental law or are these fields of law mutually reinforcing?
The compulsory dissertation provides the opportunity to research and explore in more detail a specific legal area of your choice.
60 Credit Points
Between May and mid-August students prepare a 10,000 word dissertation on a topic of their choice related to their specialist LLM programme. Students are instructed through the delivery of a preparatory lecture, two supervisory meetings and a two hour dissertation planning workshop in a small group setting. Students are expected to spend considerable time on independent research throughout the course of the dissertation module, including; preparation of dissertation plan, amendment of plan in accordance with supervisory comments, preparation for the dissertation workshop, and, of course, in the final 10,000 word dissertation itself.
The course deals with the regulation of international activities regarding energy and the environment. The course will consider the international legal framework regarding energy sources, and it will look at the various legal instruments at the global and regional level as well as the key actors that are involved in regulation. It will also examine environmental issues that correspond to the generation and use of energy in the international context and the responses relating to environmental protection of soil, water, air, atmosphere and species.
A transition from reliance on fossil fuels to low-carbon renewable energy is essential for mitigating climate change and for making energy supplies more sustainable. The course considers the challenges and concerns that this fundamental change in the nature of energy supplies gives rise to, and explores laws role in addressing them. The course examines the legal regimes for promoting renewable energy at international, EU and UK levels, and considers how law can be used to address significant constraints on the growth of renewable energy including difficulties with grid access and public opposition to wind energy development.
The course examines the relationship between development management and utilisation of energy and natural resources, law, ethics, governance, and development at the national and international levels on the one hand and poor/variable developmental outcomes, particularly the resource curse phenomenon, on the other hand. The course then proceeds to apply advanced academic and experiential knowledge to formulate the fundamentals for overarching legal frameworks that will enable the good exploitation and development of energy and natural resources, thereby producing enduring benefits for all key stakeholders. The course is multidisciplinary in approach and with some experiential engagement with industry, governments/regulators, and non-governmental perspectives.
All candidates must take the following courses:
Candidates must take courses to the value of 120 credit points.
At least 90 credit points must be obtained from the optional semester 2 courses below and semester 1 optional courses. The remaining credit points may be obtained from any Level 5 30 credit on-campus Law course. Please visit the Course Catalogue for details: Postgraduate Law 2022-2023 - Catalogue of Courses (abdn.ac.uk)
Available Programmes of Study
Please note: Students staring their LLM programme in January write their Dissertation project during the Summer semester.
Duration: 12 months full-time. 24 months part time.
We will endeavour to make all course options available; however, these may be subject to timetabling and other constraints . Please see our InfoHub pages for further information.
You may also be interested in the following related postgraduate degree programmes.
- Energy Law with Dissertation
- Energy Law with Professional Skills
- Energy and Environmental Law with Professional Skills
- General Law
- Oil and Gas Law with Dissertation
- Oil and Gas Law with Professional Skills
Further Information about tuition fees and the cost of living in Aberdeen
Additional Fee Information
- Fees for individual programmes can be viewed in the Programmes section above.
- In exceptional circumstances there may be additional fees associated with specialist courses, for example field trips. Any additional fees for a course can be found in our Catalogue of Courses .
- For more information about tuition fees for this programme, including payment plans and our refund policy, please visit our InfoHub Tuition Fees page.
The CB Davidson Fund provides limited financial support for postgraduate students within the Law School. It offers financial support to graduates in law from outside the UK to study in Aberdeen and to students and graduates of the University of Aberdeen who wish to travel outside of the UK for research purposes. Awards will not exceed £2,500 and in most instances will be less.
Eligible self-funded international Masters students will receive the Aberdeen Global Scholarship. Visit our Funding Database to find out more and see our full range of scholarships.
How You'll Study
- Individual Projects
By course work, by written examination, or by a combination of these, as prescribed for each course. The degree of LLM shall not be awarded to a candidate who fails to achieve a CGS grade of D3 or above in the specified dissertation course, irrespective of their performance in other courses: such candidates may, at the discretion of the Examiners, be awarded a Postgraduate Diploma or Postgraduate Certificate.
Why Study Energy and Environmental Law with Dissertation?
- This highly regarded Master’s programme deals with two of the most serious challenges which confront the world today: maintaining the availability of secure and affordable energy whilst addressing the global environmental deterioration that threatens humanity’s well-being. Law has a central role to play in addressing both challenges.
- The School of Law is ranked Top 100 in the World by the Times Higher Education World University Subject Ranking 2022).
- Designed by experts in their field, the programme provides the ideal opportunity for professional development in a specialist area of law.
- Add a sought after and attractive specialisation to your qualifications.
- Acquire detailed and cutting edge knowledge about the current position with energy and environmental law, and an understanding of how this is likely to change.
- Explore and gain greater knowledge of the interconnections between energy and environmental law at international, European and national level.
- Researchers at Aberdeen are at the forefront of environmental innovations which have changed environmental protection in other industries globally.
- The main difference with the LLM Energy and Environmental Law with Professional Skills is the replacement of two intensive professional skills exercises with a dissertation.
- There are over 40 nationalities within the School of Law postgraduate community, therefore you will benefit from a programme with a truly international outlook.
Interested in this programme?
Entry requirements, qualifications.
The information below is provided as a guide only and does not guarantee entry to the University of Aberdeen.
Normally a 2(1) honours degree in Law (or another related discipline) or equivalent. Relevant practical experience will also be beneficial.
Document requirements application:
- All subjects you studied and marks you achieved in your degree(s).
- A detailed personal statement explaining your reasons for choosing this programme.
- CV/Resume optional.
- Reference letter from your university discussing your academic ability.
Foreign-language students need a minimum of IELTS at 6.5 overall with 6.0 or above in writing and in reading and 5.5 or above in listening and in speaking.
Please enter your country to view country-specific entry requirements.
English Language Requirements
To study for a Postgraduate Taught degree at the University of Aberdeen it is essential that you can speak, understand, read, and write English fluently. The minimum requirements for this degree are as follows:
OVERALL - 6.5 with: Listening - 5.5; Reading - 6.0; Speaking - 5.5; Writing - 6.0
OVERALL - 90 with: Listening - 17; Reading - 21; Speaking - 20; Writing - 21
OVERALL - 62 with: Listening - 59; Reading - 59; Speaking - 59; Writing - 59
Cambridge English B2 First, C1 Advanced or C2 Proficiency:
OVERALL - 176 with: Listening - 162; Reading - 169; Speaking - 162; Writing - 169
Read more about specific English Language requirements here .
You will be required to supply the following documentation with your application as proof you meet the entry requirements of this degree programme. If you have not yet completed your current programme of study, then you can still apply and you can provide your Degree Certificate at a later date.
- Information about visa and immigration requirements
You can become qualified to practice energy and environmental law as a consultant or you can consider joining energy and environmental companies to assist them to meet their regulator requirements for submission of permits from various governments around the world.
- Environmental Lawyer
This degree holds accreditation from.
- Top 10 LLM Programs for Energy Law 2021
Specialty courses to improve your employability
Our broad range of niche courses focus on specific areas of industry and use current examples that will prepare you for your career.
We are Top 100 in the World for Law
Our Law School is ranked in the Top 100 globally, according to the Times Higher Education World University Subject Rankings 2022.
5th in the UK for Law
Our Law School is ranked 5th in the UK of 105 providers for Overall Student Satisfaction (National Student Survey 2022).
Top 10 UK Law School
We are ranked Top 10 in the UK for Law by the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023.
Information about staff changes.
You will be taught by a range of experts including professors, lecturers, teaching fellows and postgraduate tutors. Staff changes will occur from time to time; please see our InfoHub pages for further information.
Get in Touch
- Call Us +44 (0)1224 274260
- Enquire Now Using an online form
- Follow the Law School on Facebook
- Follow the Law School on Twitter
- Connect with us on LinkedIn
- < Previous
Home > T_D > PHD_DISSERATIONS > 5
From Hot Air to Action? Climate Change, Compliance, and the Future of International Environmental Law
Meinhard Doelle , Dalhousie University Schulich School of Law Follow
Date of Award
This dissertation considers the evolution, current state, and future prognosis of the global climate change regime under the umbrella of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change. The focus of the dissertation is on State compliance with the Kyoto Protocol. Compliance is considered from the perspective of the internal compliance regime developed under the Kyoto Protocol as well as a select set of potential external international law influences. The dissertation concludes with an assessment of the level of compliance to be expected and its potential influence on the future of the climate change regime. Implications for international environmental law more generally are also considered. To provide the necessary context, the state of international environmental law generally and the climate change regime under the UNFCCC more specifically is assessed. This is followed by an assessment of likely levels of compliance with Kyoto considering a number of internal and external influences on compliance with Kyoto. The focus of internal factors is on an assessment of the compliance system under the Kyoto Protocol within a theoretical context of rational choice versus norm based compliance theories. The consideration of external influences includes a consideration of links between the climate change regime and the World Trade Organization, the UN Law of the Sea Convention, International Human Rights Norms, and Multilateral Environmental Agreements. These influences are considered both in terms of their potential contribution to compliance with Kyoto and more generally their possible influence on the future evolution of the climate change regime. The dissertation concludes with an assessment of the impact of the Kyoto Protocol on compliance, on the future of the climate change regime, and on the future of international environmental law more generally.
Meinhard Doelle, From Hot Air to Action? Climate change, Compliance, and the Future of International Environmental Law (JSD Dissertation, Dalhousie University, Schulich School of Law, 2005) [unpublished].
Since June 16, 2022
Environmental Law Commons , Human Rights Law Commons , International Humanitarian Law Commons , International Law Commons , International Trade Law Commons , Law and Politics Commons , Law of the Sea Commons
- Notify me via email or RSS
- Schulich School of Law
- Sir James Dunn Law Library
- Dalhousie University
- Schulich Law Scholars LibGuide
- Expert Gallery
Home | About | FAQ | My Account | Accessibility Statement
Fairness in international environmental law : accommodation of the concerns of developing countries in the climate change regime
- Bishop, Kirsten.
- Provost, Rene (Supervisor)
- This thesis is concerned with the role of fairness in international environmental law and, by way of example, focuses specifically on the perspective of developing countries in the context of the climate change regime. A brief analysis of underlying conceptions of fairness in general international law serves as the backdrop for an evaluation of both procedural and substantive aspects of fairness within the climate change regime. This evaluation includes a detailed consideration of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and the Kyoto Protocol to that Convention. The thesis concludes that the role of fairness in the climate change regime, and in international environmental law more generally, has become significant in recent years. It is likely that this trend will continue through further articulation of claims, by developing countries and others, in the context of an ongoing fairness debate. (Abstract shortened by UMI.)
- Climatic changes.
- Environmental law.
- McGill University
- All items in [email protected] are protected by copyright with all rights reserved unless otherwise indicated.
- Institute of Comparative Law
- Master of Laws
- International environmental law, fairness and the climate change regime
- Theses & Dissertations
Thank you,. Professor Schneebaum for inspiring my thesis topic and giving me the foundation from which to understand international law and human
Is it really possible to bring all the major economies of the world at the same level on climate change? What are the measures that can be taken
Climate change is real. The debate surrounding whether or not this is true is not the subject of this thesis, and will not be discussed here. One does not have
This thesis is founded on the proposition that climate change and ... for the Master of Laws degree in Environmental Law at Pace University School of Law.
CHAPTER 1: AN INTRODUCTION TO THE THESIS. 14. 1.1 Introduction. 14. 1.2 Scientific Background on Global. 19. Environmental Change. 1.2.1 Climate Change
Our staff have expertise and specialisms in environmental and climate change law, as well as in energy law relating both to the fossil fuels sector and to
Meinhard Doelle, From Hot Air to Action? Climate change, Compliance, and the Future of International Environmental Law (JSD Dissertation, Dalhousie University
Browsing LAW PhD Theses by Subject "Environmental law, International" · Icon. Title:Climate change and development : the global administrative
This thesis will describe how and why specific established legislation, case law, and treaties could or would be applied to a Swedish case based
The thesis concludes that the role of fairness in the climate change regime, and in international environmental law more generally, has become significant