Citation Guide: Journal Abbreviations
- Citations Home
- Title of Source
- Title of Container
- Other Contributors
- Publication Date
- Optional Elements
- In-Text Citations
- Books & eBooks
- Scholarly Journal Articles
- Additional Resources/Web Pages
- In-Text Citation
- APA Paper Format
- Online Databases
- Books, Encyclopedias, Theses, Dissertations
- Conferences, Data, Patents, Software, Standards, & Technical Reports
- Websites, Newspapers, Magazines, Federal Agency Publications, & Streaming Media
- Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
- How to Format Bibliographical Entries for the Cited Reference Page
- Sample CSE/CBE Paper
- Other Guides
- Additional Resources
- MC Writing Center
Use CASSI (Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index) for standard abbreviations of journal names.
- Online version
While CASSI is your best source of abbreviations, you can also check the following online sources:
- Chemical Abstracts Service. Core Journals Covered in CAplus. http://www.cas.org/sent.html .
- All That JAS : Journal Abbreviation Sources (listing of Web sites that list complete journal titles and abbreviations)
- NCBI Journals Database ( PubMed )
- << Previous: In-Text Citations
- Next: CBE/CSE >>
- Last Updated: Sep 20, 2023 9:37 AM
- URL: https://mc.libguides.com/cite
- Contact Contact icon Contact
- Training Training icon Training
- Portuguese, Brazil
- Chinese, Simplified
Check the spelling in your query or search for a new term.
Site search accepts advanced operators to help refine your query. Learn more.
If you have any questions, or if you need additional help using any CAS products or services, please contact the CAS Customer Center.
Feel free to inquire about a familiarization training session.
CAS Standard Abbreviations & Acronyms
In CAS databases, certain abbreviations and acronyms are automatically generated for terms in the abstract text, the keyword phrases, and the text modifying phrases for index entries. Most of these abbreviations have been used prior to 1982. Users need to know these standard abbreviations and acronyms to be able to use them in search profiles and identify them in text.
In this document, automatically generated abbreviations and acronyms in CAS publications and services are arranged in two lists. To guide users to abbreviations they need to include in their search profiles, Listing A is arranged in the alphabetical order of the full terms which are abbreviated. Do not use periods when searching CAS abbreviations or acronyms online. To provide explanation of abbreviations encountered in text, Listing B is arranged in the alphabetical order of abbreviations and acronyms.
Examples and Lists included on this web page:
Examples of some terms ending in "-ology" that are abbreviated "-ol.".
- Examples of some terms ending in "-ography" that are abbreviated "-og."
- Abbreviations for some common prefixed terms
Automatic retrieval of CAS abbreviations on STN
Set abb on to retrieve cas abbreviations, online help message.
- Listing A (arranged in alphabetical order of the full terms which are abbreviated)-- Standard Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Listing B (arranged in alphabetical order of abbreviations and acronyms)-- Standard Abbreviations and Acronyms
Characters and Symbols in Computer-Readable Files
Conventions for representing greek letters in computer-readable files, conventions for representing symbols in computer-readable files.
In addition to the terms specifically listed as standard abbreviations and acronyms, abbreviations are automatically generated for the following types of words:
- Words formed by adding prefixes to terms normally abbreviated may also be abbreviated, e.g., "microchem." for "microchemical." In Listing A, words indicated by # on the left are those which, if prefixed, are generally abbreviated. (See, Abbreviations for some common prefixed terms )
- Words ending in "-ology" or "-ologic(al)(ly)" are abbreviated "-ol.," e.g., "geol." for "geology." ( See examples )
- Words ending in "-ography" or "-ographic(al)(ly)" are abbreviated "-og.," E.g., "chromatog." For "chromatographic." ( See examples )
- Plurals of noun abbreviations are formed by adding "s" to the singular abbreviation, e.g., "derivs." For "derivatives." Two exceptions are cases when a single abbreviation is designated to show both the singular and plural forms (e.g., "equil." For "equilibrium(s)" and words marked on the list with an asterisk (*) whose plurals are not abbreviated.
- Verb forms that require "s" are abbreviated by adding "s" to the listed abbreviation, e.g., "Compd. decomps. on heating" for "Compound decomposes on heating."
Standard abbreviations and acronyms are not automatically generated for terms appearing in titles. However, in titles abbreviations used by the author may appear.
In addition to the standard, automatically generated abbreviations and acronyms, other acronyms, atomic symbols (e.g., Cl, Sb), and molecular formulas (e.g., NaCl) may also be used in CAS publications and services.
Abbreviation "-ol." is also applied to the adjective form, e.g., "pharmacologic(al)," the adverb form, e.g., "pharmacologically" and prefixed forms, e.g., "neuropharmacology" of terms ending in "-ology."
Examples of some terms ending in "-ography" that are abbreviated "-og." :
Abbreviation "og." is also applied to the adjective form, e.g., "geographic(al)," the adverb form, e.g., "geographically," and prefixed forms, e.g., "paleogeography" of terms ending in "-ography."
Abbreviations for some common prefixed terms *
* See "Standard Abbreviations and Acronyms," Listing A for a complete list of terms which, if prefixed, are generally abbreviated.
In CAS bibliographic files on STN, e.g., CAplus or CA, you can retrieve CAS abbreviations automatically. Simply enter the commands SET ABB ON and SET PLURAL ON at an arrow prompt.
When you SET ABB ON, abbreviations are generated for all terms searched in the Basic Index, or in the specific fields that comprise the Basic Index. A separate posting line appears if any occurrences of an abbreviation are found. When you SET PLURAL ON, you also automatically retrieve plural abbreviations.
The default for SET ABB is OFF. To include abbreviations for all SEARCH and QUERY commands in your session, enter SET ABB ON at an arrow prompt. To retain the ON setting beyond the current session, enter SET ABB ON PERM.
Not all CAS standard abbreviations are available with SET ABB. CAS abbreviations for most units and multiword terms have been removed to keep false drops and irrelevant retrievals to a minimum. To see a list of terms for which abbreviations will be added, enter HELP ABB at an arrow prompt (=>) in the file. For more information on this SET command, enter HELP SET ABB at an arrow prompt.
* Terms whose plurals are not automatically abbreviated by adding "s."
# If prefixed, these words are generally abbreviated. For examples, see the list of "Abbreviations for some common prefixed terms" which precedes Listing A.
** For representation in computer-readable files see "Listing of Characters and Symbols in Computer-Readable Files."
In computer-readable files all characters of the Roman alphabet and numbers are represented in the same way as in CAS publications. However, no distinctions are made for italic, boldface, or small capital letters. Also, superscripts and subscripts appear on the line.
Special conventions are used to represent some characters and symbols in computer-readable files. These conventions are shown in the following lists. Some of these characters and symbols can be searched in computer-readable files. For search terms, representations without the periods are used.
Related Training and Support
Scifinderⁿ training, getting started with cas stnext®, primeros pasos con cas stnext®, you may also be interested in..., prise en main de cas stnext®, cas stnext®入門, cas stnext® 시작하기.
- CASSI Abbreviations
CAS Source Index
Sample reference list.
- Searching Tips
- Finding Books
- Other Resources
- Reference Resources
- Avoiding Plagiarism
Research and Instruction Librarian
CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool
Multiple-word journal titles are highly abbreviated in citations in accordance with the ACS Style Guide.
The CAS Source Index (CASSI) Search Tool is a useful tool to use for both citing and interpreting citations.
- << Previous: Finding Articles
- Next: Searching Tips >>
- Last Updated: Sep 28, 2023 6:44 PM
- URL: https://infoguides.pepperdine.edu/chemistry
Explore. Discover. Create.
Copyright © 2022 Pepperdine University
- Renew Books
- Hours and Locations
You are here
Cas source index (cassi) search tool.
The CAS Source Index (CASSI) is a cross-index to journal abbreviations and titles used in chemistry and many related sciences. It is searchable by journal title, abbreviated title, CODEN, ISSN, and ISBN.
- Thesis and Dissertations
- Books and E-Books
- Reptiles and Amphibians
- Finding Journal Abbreviations
- Finding Cited References
- 3D Animations/YouTube
Print Journal Abbreviation Resources
- Biosis Serial Sources Call Number: Science/Engineering Library - Reference - Z5321 .B68 Latest edition held is 2001.
- Chemical Abstracts Service source index. Call Number: Chemistry Library - Reference - QD1 .A5134 Online edition is more current. 2004 is latest print edition held by Library.
Finding Full Journals title from Abbreviations Online
There are many sources to find the full title of an abbreviated journal title in the sciences. A simple Google search may be all you need to find the full name but if that does not work, here are some resources:
- Journals Indexed in NCBI Databases Search by full or abbreviated title for journals indexed in PubMed and other NCBI databases.
- Ulrichsweb Current. Provides bibliographic and publisher information on more than 300,000 periodicals of all types: academic and scholarly journals, Open Access publications, peer-reviewed titles, popular magazines, newspapers, newsletters, and more from around the world.
- << Previous: Reptiles and Amphibians
- Next: Finding Cited References >>
- Last Updated: Sep 8, 2023 9:47 AM
- URL: https://guides.library.stonybrook.edu/biology
- Request a Class
- Hours & Locations
- Ask a Librarian
- Special Collections
- Library Faculty & Staff
Library Administration: 631.632.7100
- Stony Brook Home
- Campus Maps
- Web Accessibility Information
- Accessibility Barrier Report Form
Comments or Suggestions? | Library Webmaster
Except where otherwise noted, this work by SBU Libraries is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License .
Fact check: Correcting the record about the UC Berkeley Library’s long-term space plan
- Log in to your Library account
- Hours and Maps
- Connect from Off Campus
- UC Berkeley Home
Bioscience journal abbreviations: abbreviations a - b.
- Abbreviations A - B
- Abbreviations C - G
- Abbreviations H - J
- Abbreviations K - Q
- Abbreviations R - Z
Other journal title abbreviation lists
For other journal title abbreviation lists, see:
Chemical Abstracts Service Source Index (CASSI) search tool
National Library of Medicine Catalog: Journals referenced in the NCBI Databases
Web of Science journal titles (searchable using the asterisk wildcard).
List of Title Word Abbreviations (LTWA) (ISSN Network, based on ISO 4).
Note: One word titles are not abbreviated. Publication locations are included if journals of the same name are published in more than one city.
Bioscience journal title abbreviations A
Bioscience journal title abbreviations b.
- Next: Abbreviations C - G >>
- Last Updated: Aug 9, 2022 8:55 AM
- URL: https://guides.lib.berkeley.edu/bioscience-journal-abbreviations