New User? Start here.
- Order an assignment
- Track your order
- Why Order us
- Free Samples
- Order discount now
Writing Get your essay and assignment written from scratch by PhD expert
Rewriting: Paraphrase or rewrite your friend's essay with similar meaning at reduced cost
Editing: Proofread your work by experts and improve grade at Lowest cost
Enter phone no. to receive critical updates and urgent messages !
Please upload all relevant files for quick & complete assistance.
How to Write PhD Concept Paper Assignment?
Table of Contents
A PhD concept paper is a paper written by a PhD aspirant to summarize the research project for the benefit of the dissertation committee that examines the validity of the project across at least four dimensions. They are:
- Does the candidate present his research aims and objectives clearly?
- Has the candidate shown his or her proficiency in understanding the theoretical aspect of the research area?
- Does the candidate show a clear understanding of the research methodology which is selected to answer the research questions formulated in the concept paper?
- Is the contribution original? Does it make a relevant contribution to the larger field of research?
Sounds serious? No need to worry as MyAssignmenthelp.com now brings you a complete guide to writing a PhD concept paper .
Understanding the ‘concept’ behind a concept paper
A concept paper is like a proposal which is submitted to the PhD committee in order to seek its approval for starting the research project. A candidate must be able to convince the committee through its concept paper that:
- He or she is capable of handling the research project
- He or she has a good command over all the theoretical and practical aspects of the research to be undertaken
- He or she willread the relevant secondary literature on the subject and is cognizant of the debates in his or her area of specialization
- Finally the research will make an original contribution to the field of study.
Timeline for a PhD concept paper
Each country has its own set of rules for PhD. For instance, in the US, a PhD takes anywhere between 5 to 7 years of study. This includes one to two years of coursework or graduate study along with independent research for the rest of the time period under the supervision of a professor. However, this set of rules is applicable only for science and humanities subjects. For MBA and law, separate set of rules is followed. The time limit for a PhD project in management and law is typically shorter.
A PhD concept paper is usually submitted at the end of the coursework and before the beginning of the independent research work. By that time, the student must have a clear idea about the research topic, the research question he is going to undertake and the research methodology he is going to follow.
Components of a PhD concept paper
A concept paper must contain all the major components of a proposal. The major parts include:
1. Introduction :
Introduction or exposition is the most crucial property of your concept paper. It introduces the topic of research and narrates an introductory account of your research. There are few tips you must keep in mind while writing a concept paper:
- Never make an introduction lengthy
- Avoid writing convoluted sentences which can confuse your readers
- After making few general comments, come straight to the point
- Try to avoid errors (proofing or factual) since they create a negative impression on your readers
- Try not to make any ambitious claims while writing your introduction. Keep your aims and objectives realistic.
2. Research aims or objectives :
Next, we come to the research aim. A research aim is a statement which justifies the very purpose of conducting the research. Research aim should be clear and unambiguous. It is best not to make any grandiloquent statement which defies the purpose of carrying the research. Here are a couple of things which you must keep in mind:
- Research aim should be clear to you. If you are not convinced about your own project no one else will be either
- The written statement should reflect your personal conviction
- You should be able to justify the validity of the project and let your committee know why conducting a research work on the mentioned subject is so important.
3. Research question :
A research question must contain the gist of your argument. It can either be framed as a question or may be formulated as a statement. Here is the way forward:
- Try framing a question that summarizes the whole project in one or two lines
- The research question or statement (if you prefer to call it that) must not contain the details of your research. Those may come later
- Finally, the research question must contain the essence of the project.
4. Research methodology :
Methodology refers to the method or the set of methods which you would be using while writing your PhD dissertation. They are the tools which you would be using in order to conduct your research. A variety of tools are now available. You can choose from the following list:
- Interviews – Interviews are usually preferred tools of research in subjects like psychology, marketing, sociology, anthropology etc. They reveal the insights into the psychological aspects of human behaviour.
- Questionnaires – This method is preferred when a behavioral pattern is to be noted among a number of respondents. This method is preferred in subjects like psychoanalysis which analyses various patterns of human behavior.
- Surveys – When quantitative data is preferred from a large number of respondents (typically a large sample group), then surveys are used. Sample surveys are preferred in marketing, statistics, demography etc.
- Theoretical analysis – It is preferred in subjects like philosophy, languages, comparative literature and cultural studies. Theoretical analysis tries to grapple with a problem by using a set of existing theories.
- Lab based experiments – Almost all science based subjects prefer laboratory experiments. Scientific hypotheses are established on the basis of direct inference on the basis of the findings of a lab based research.
- Archival research – An archive is a place where old historical documents are kept. Historical research often requires analysis on the basis of a thorough exploration of the archive.
5. Chapter structure :
Your concept proposal must contain the skeleton of all the proposed chapters and the major points of research you are about to undertake in that chapter. Here is a list of things you might consider while preparing the chapter summaries:
- No details are required since the chief aim is to give an idea about what the research is all about
- Chapters summaries should be brief and to the point
- Each chapter summary must contain its own research question that it seeks to answer.
6. Bibliography and References :
Although concept paper does not require a detailed list of works consulted or to be consulted, a small bibliography appended to the paper cannot hurt. If anything, it is sure to impress your committee. Beware of certain things though:
- Never mention books which you have not read or do not plan to read. You would be asked questions on them
- Always mention the primary reference texts which are essential for your research
- Secondary reference works or works which are not directly related may be mentioned briefly
- Try to stick to the standard referencing styles. You may choose from the following:
- Harvard referencing style which incorporates the name of the author along with the publication date within the text
- Chicago style which includes the reference details as foot notes or endnotes
- MLA style which includes just names and page numbers within the text.
Writing a concept paper
Now that you are well aware of how to write a paper , here is how you should proceed.
- Think of a research topic. You may come up with an original idea or can come up with the same by consulting your supervisor
- Read the primary and secondary texts to have an idea of the subject
- Set a time table of preparing a concept paper
- After you have written the first draft, show it to your supervisor to make necessary changes
- Incorporate the changes in your paper
- Give it a thorough reading for detecting possible proofing errors
- Submit and wait for your interview.
- Your committee will go through the copy and make useful suggestions. Once they are done, they give the green signal to the project.
Learn to write a PhD concept paper with MyAssignmenthelp.com
We have a whole range of delectable services especially designed for PhD students. Our dissertation writing services will guide you through each and every step of dissertation writing : starting from formulation of the research project to editing and proofreading the final product.
Our 3000 plus PhD writers are adept in a wide variety of subjects: from finance to marketing and from law to computer engineering. Being highly qualified, they are the best people to come up with fresh and original ideas and 100 percent plagiarism-free content.
Our 24×7 chat service is there to answer all your queries and dispel all your fears. You won’t have to empty your pockets to get our services. Our prices are totally affordable and you can try out various options like online assignment help , custom essay help , thesis help , coursework help, case study help etc. For a brighter academic future, trust MyAssignmenthelp.com.
10 Tips on How to Write an Assignment for University
How to Avoid Procrastinating University Assignments?
5 Top Tips to Proofread Your Assignment
Five Reasons to Avail Assignment Help Services
21 Top Tips for Assignment Writing
Hi, I am Mark, a Literature writer by profession. Fueled by a lifelong passion for Literature, story, and creative expression, I went on to get a PhD in creative writing. Over all these years, my passion has helped me manage a publication of my write ups in prominent websites and e-magazines. I have also been working part-time as a writing expert for myassignmenthelp.com for 5+ years now. It’s fun to guide students on academic write ups and bag those top grades like a pro. Apart from my professional life, I am a big-time foodie and travel enthusiast in my personal life. So, when I am not working, I am probably travelling places to try regional delicacies and sharing my experiences with people through my blog.
Still in Two Minds? The Proof is in Numbers!
Genuine Reviews With a Rating of 4.9/5 .
Home Work: 1 Page, Deadline: 22 hours
Received great detail responses to the questions I had. Had some formatting issues with the file, but otherwise great experience.
Assignment: 3.2 Pages, Deadline: 18 days
i am happy from your work i hope i will get a good grade in this work and hopefully give more work soon,
Assignment: 12 Pages, Deadline: 6 days
I successfully cleared the module with the expert's fullest support. Always grateful for their effort and work. Thanks alot.
Home Work: 4 Pages, Deadline: 4 days
Good job , You guys started at the last minute (day of ) , but well done .Passing score was made that was great. This assignment was quick and fast pa ...
Programming: 7 Pages, Deadline: 3 days
Expert did good work but he could have followed instructions for maximum mark.Overral l it was a good work.
Home Work: 2 Pages, Deadline: 4 days
I'm very satisfied with the work. I did not get grades yet, but I got help from my previous assignments and got very good grades. Always on time
Programming: 2 Pages, Deadline: 1 day
The quality of the work was amazing, received positive feedback from my instructor.
Programming: 1 Page, Deadline: 1 day
I got my work done on time, representatives were super helpful, fast responding and provided all the help I needed.
Programming: 1 Page, Deadline: 3 days
All my work was done on time, very clear, and well explained! Got the grades I was hoping for.
Case Study: 3 Pages, Deadline: 5 days
Wonderful! It was well written, prepared in a timely manner will all respect you did an awesome job.
Case Study: 4 Pages, Deadline: 3 days
Expert took time and wrote my case study very well. I am expecting atleast full marks for the case study
Programming: 1 Page, Deadline: 4 days
Awesome, looks good and over and above expectations. Will see what the feedback are
Assignment: 4 Pages, Deadline: 2 days
Thank you so much for making those corrections! You guys are awesome! Always a satisfied customer since 2020 :)
Essay: 6 Pages, Deadline: 7 days
Good result on time with quick feedback.I tried to connect with somebody help. Please contact me as soon as possible.
Assignment: 4 Pages, Deadline: 22 days
Very quick & easy process. They finished before my deadline and easy to communicate with. Very thankful for this!
Dissertation: 40 Pages, Deadline: 17 days
I have my final submission in the next couple of days kindly revert back to the final feedback provided, please do the needfulThanks
Assignment: 5 Pages, Deadline: 29 days
I truly appreciate the outstanding work you've done, and I express my heartfelt gratitude. I have no doubt that I will be seeking your assistance aga ...
Essay: 1 Page, Deadline: 12 hours
The expert did an amazing job on my article review! I received a 100 on the assignment. I'm very satisfied and will definitely be using this site ag ...
Dissertation: 22 Pages, Deadline: 15 days
thank you very much for your support and rework on time, I am very greatful towards the expert and entire team for your consistent help and support. t ...
Home Work: 5 Pages, Deadline: 9 days
Very satisfied with the work done in a timely fashion and upto the standards. Would highly appreciate the services.
On APP - grab it while it lasts!
*Offer eligible for first 3 orders ordered through app!
Stay in touch with latest news and exclusive offers every week. "No spam !"
ONLINE TO HELP YOU 24X7
OR GET MONEY BACK!
OUT OF 38983 REVIEWS
Received my assignment before my deadline request, paper was well written. Highly recommend.
- Have any Query? Contact with us Sales Chat (New Assignment Inquiry) Support Chat (Assignment Already Booked)
- How It Works
- Prices & Discounts
How to Write a Concept Paper for a PhD: A 10-Step Guide
Table of contents
You’re ready to enroll for your Ph.D. studies but feeling anxious. You don’t know whether your application will be accepted or what it would take to be accepted.
Aside from your academic qualifications, a concept paper is one of the most critical determinants. If you’re planning to pursue a Ph.D., you need to learn how to write an effective concept paper to convince your professors.
Writing a concept paper requires strong analytical skills, advanced research knowledge, and excellent writing skills.
This blog post will give you a step-by-step guide on how to write a concept paper for a Ph.D. to get you a step closer to becoming a doctor of philosophy.
What is a concept paper for Ph.D.?
A concept paper for a Ph.D. is a written statement outlining the objectives and concepts of a proposed research study. It acts as an introduction to your dissertation or full thesis.
It is also an important part of the application process for Ph.D. programs and helps the admissions committee evaluate a student's research potential.
It typically includes background information on the topic to be studied, an overview of existing research, and the proposed research design. It also highlights potential results from the proposed study and their practical applications.
Ultimately, concept papers for Ph.D. programs help determine whether a student is qualified to pursue doctoral-level work in their chosen field.
How long is a Ph.D. concept paper?
The length of your concept paper will depend on your field of study and the requirements set by your university. Generally speaking, most universities expect concept papers to be between 3-5 pages long. Some papers may be longer or shorter depending on how much detail your project entails.
A concept paper for Ph.D. includes:
- Background information on the topic;
- Overview of existing research;
- Proposed research design;
- Potential results from the study;
- Practical applications of the study.
How to Write a Concept Paper for Ph.D.?
An effective concept paper will help you get approval from your professor or adviser to begin your doctoral work.
What are the characteristics of a good concept paper?
A good concept paper should present an idea or topic in a clear and concise manner. It should provide an overview of what the research project will cover and explain why it’s important.
Additionally, it should highlight any potential implications of the research study and how they can be addressed or minimized. The goal of the paper is to convince the reader that your proposed project is worth pursuing and that it contributes new knowledge to your field of study.
What are the 5 elements of a concept paper?
The five elements of a concept paper are:
- Purpose statement;
- Problem statement;
- Research questions or hypotheses;
- Significance or implications for practice.
These elements work together to provide a comprehensive overview of your proposed research project and show why it’s worth pursuing.
Here are the steps to write an outstanding concept paper that stands no chance of being rejected.
1. Define the title and purpose of your study
The first step in writing a concept paper is defining the title and purpose of your study. What will your research be about? And what are you trying to accomplish through it?
The title and purpose of your study will set the foundation for your concept paper. This part should be concise and clear so that readers understand the basis and significance of your research. When formulating the title, ensure it accurately reflects the main focus of your entire research study.
2. Describe the background and scope of your study
The next step is to provide an overview of the background information of your study topic and explain how it relates to your proposed project.
When describing the background of your study, you need to provide some context about why this topic is important enough to warrant academic inquiry.
Highlight any existing studies or theories related to your topic so that readers understand why you have chosen it as part of your dissertation research.
3. Identify the problem statement
Next, identify a problem statement that outlines what issue or gap in the knowledge you are attempting to address through your research project. Every good concept paper should include a well thought problem statement.
Your problem statement should be precise and concise so readers can easily understand what they can expect from reading further.
Here, you should make it clear why there’s a need for further investigation in your chosen field and how your research will contribute new insights into existing knowledge.
4. List your goals and objectives
Now that you’ve established your problem statement, you need to outline the specific goals and objectives that will guide you through your research.
Here, you outline what steps you’ll take and what specifically you hope to achieve in every stage of the study. This could mean anything from creating new theories, testing existing theories or models, exploring the techniques used in other studies, etc.
Your goals and objectives will give the readers a heads-up about what outcomes they can expect from the project.
Ensure whatever goals and objectives you list are measurable and achievable within the scope of your research study.
5. Formulate research questions
Next, formulate detailed research questions (and accompanying hypotheses) based on the topic you plan to explore.
These questions should include the variables you plan to manipulate or measure during data collection. Ensure the questions are clear and written in simple language so readers can understand what you’ll address through the study.
Also, don’t forget to create hypotheses for every research question you write. These are specific claims that will act as the starting points for further inquiry and potential conclusions for the study.
6. Explain the theoretical framework of the study
Once you’ve formulated your research questions, the next step is to explain the theoretical framework or foundational concept of the study.
Identify and briefly explain the theories that inspired you and connect them back to your intended study.
This will set out the context of your project and show that you’ve read and understood existing knowledge on the subject. This theoretical knowledge will come in handy if your application is accepted.
7. Write the literature review
The next step is to write the literature review . Here, you identify information and existing knowledge from previous studies and other published articles.
Your literature review should also include summaries or reviews of key texts related to your topic. You can get information for this section from peer-reviewed articles and online journals like OpenDOAR and CORE.
Remember, all the facts, statistics, and other relevant information must be accompanied by appropriate citations and references.
8. Describe the proposed research methodology
After writing the literature review, go ahead and describe the research design and methodology you’ll be employing.
Some of the critical details to include in this section include:
- What data collection methods you’ll use? (e.g., surveys, interviews, or questionnaires).
- How many participants will form your sample size?
- What data analysis methods will you use? (e.g., qualitative versus quantitative).
Be sure to highlight any ethical considerations involved in your research methodology. For instance, explain the informed consent procedures you’ll use if your research involves human participation.
Also, explain how you’ll minimize the potential risks associated with participating in your research activities.
9. Explain the significance of the study (and its implications)
Now that you’ve explained the methodology, it’s time to let the readers understand why this study is important and why it makes a significant contribution to existing research.
Additionally, explain how this study will impact theory development and its significance for policymakers or practitioners in your field of study.
You should also discuss any potential implications of conducting this research (e.g., ethical considerations or political ramifications).
10. Include references/bibliography
Finally, include references or a bibliography at the end of your concept paper to build credibility for your research paper.
A bibliography enables you to give credit where it belongs by recognizing the owners of your reference materials.
Ensure you format references properly according to the style specified by the institution you’re applying to. This could be for example APA , MLA, or Harvard referencing style .
What is the difference between a concept paper and a research paper?
A concept paper outlines what you plan to do (in future tense), while a research paper explains what you did (in past tense) after completing your research project. In other words, a concept paper serves as an introduction to your research, while a research paper provides evidence-based results from experiments conducted during your study.
The thought of writing a concept paper for your Ph.D. can be intimidating at first. However, once you know the right approach to take and invest enough time, the writing process becomes hassle-free.
Start by brainstorming your ideas, researching related topics, and creating an outline. Also, ensure you clearly define your concept and know the exact approach you’ll be taking. This way, you won’t find yourself stuck when your concept paper has been approved for further research.
After completing the paper, revise it to ensure everything is clear and accurate with no typos. In the end, you’ll have an excellent concept paper that will pave the way for you to pursue your doctoral studies.
If you need help writing a concept paper for your Ph.D., turn to Writers Per Hour for assistance. With expert Doctoral writers on the team, we can draft a compelling concept paper that is 100% original and written from scratch as per your requirements.
Last edit at Jul 27 2023
What does your service do?
Do you have free essay samples?
How much does it cost?
How to order my essay?
Share this article
Sign up and get 20% off on a custom paper
By entering your email above you agree to receive our periodical marketing emails. We do not sell or share your personal information.
- Thesis Writing Service
- Marketing Plan Writing Service
- Case Brief Help
- Do My Accounting Assignment
- Buy Persuasive Essay
- Buy Non Plagiarized Essay
- Urgent Essay Writing Service
- Extended Essay Writing Service
- Write My Scholarship Essay
- IB IA writing service
- Fast Essay Writing Service
- Pay Someone to Write My Paper
- Help With University Essays
- Analysis Essay Writing Service
- Write My Argumentative Essay
- Do My Coursework
- Do My Case Study
- Professional Business Plan Writers
- Homework Writer
- Capstone Project Writer
- Hire Creative Writers
- Professional Dissertation Writer
- MBA Essay Writer
- Buy Personal Statement
- Write My Philosophy Paper
- Write My Psychology Paper
- Hire Research Paper Writer
- Do My Research Paper
- Buy Research Proposal
- Paper Editing Service
- Write My Book Report
- Write My Essay Please
- Write My Speech
- Write My Annotated Bibliography
- Write My Lab Report
- Write My Literature Review
- Write My Assignment
- Buy a Paper for College
- Write My Discussion Post
- Tok Essay Writing Service
- Buy Biology Paper
- Do My Powerpoint
- Do My Math Problems